Wednesday, June 30, 2010

A Retrospective

I’ve been back in the States for 28 days and I’m starting to get antsy.  I don’t thrive with too much free time.  That’s why I decided to sit down and take a look at the last few months of my life’s adventure. 

“How was Israel?” is inevitably the first question asked when I see people.   “Great!  Amazing!  So good!” are usually my go-to answers.  But these words seem to fall flat of really describing the last few months of my life.  

I’ve decided I’m half of a new person.  In many ways I’m still the same.  But, hopefully better.   I’ve learned a lot of useful lessons from my Socialism stint abroad:

How to Relax

Kibbutz life starts before sunrise, and goes late into the night.  Naps are a necessity of survival. I’ve discovered the beauty of mid-day sleep. I never even napped as a toddler or college student.  This is a big milestone for me.   But naps are just the tip of the relaxation iceberg.  I’m okay with sitting in the sun and reading for a few hours for no reason but the fact that it’s nice.  I’m still an overachieving go-getter, but at least now I’m conscious of the importance of rest.

Anyone who has met me knows that I’m a “busy” person.  I like to be active, productive, and just get stuff done.  Sometimes this is detrimental.  I have often rushed through things without thinking, processing, or enjoying simply because I wanted to check it off my list.   I used to be about results and not process.  These days, I’m trying to enjoy the moment not just plan for the next one.  I also, am okay with not being productive during every waking hour.

Letting go of Control

Getting on a bus and attempting to speak Hebrew with the driver is a stressful thing.  I really was never 100% sure I was going in the right direction. “Does this bus go to Tel-Aviv?”  Who knows?  Either way I’ll get to my destination somehow.  A lot of travel, and half-a-dozen missed connections, I know that I do not need to know the answer to every question right away.  I’ve learned to trust that no matter what situation I find myself in, I will figure it out and make the best of it.

Not Sweating the Small Stuff

When you dodge scorpions and shower with mystery bugs your threshold for weirdness increases exponentially.   Little inconveniences don’t seem like such a big deal anymore.  More importantly I am more aware and grateful for the comforts I have here at home.  Talking with friends from other countries where it’s not even safe to go out at night makes me appreciative of the luxuries and freedoms we have here.  Hearing about life as a woman elsewhere made me even more passionate about international women’s rights.  I’m more and more sure that I want to help raise awareness to such issues.  

Priorities

Until a few years ago, my biggest fear was failure.  I have big aspirations, and a lot I want to do and share.  But the job title on a fancy business card isn’t the end goal anymore.  My time away solidified something that’s been percolating for a while—my real priorities.  The more I see of the world and the people in it, the more importance I place on family, friends and love.  Of course professional success is still a huge priority for me.  But it’s just part of the whole picture.  Understanding this, and what I really want to accomplish in life has been refreshing, exciting and liberating.  

People also ask me if I miss Israel.  Yes, of course I miss seeing my new friends every day!  And I miss the new and amazing connections I made with my family there.  But I’ll be going back someday.  Israel will always be important to me, in so many ways.   There are still things that I will discover about my trip as the weeks and years unfold.  I am so grateful and happy that I took the time to have this experience.  How lucky am I, really?  I don’t think there are adequate words to express it, even if I use my pretentious British writer’s voice. 

In the face of my next exciting adventure, I find it difficult to dwell in the past too much.   With the last year’s challenges, ups and downs I’ve grown a lot as a person.  With all of those experiences with me, I know that every day holds new possibilities.  I hope to be open and willing.  To quote the email signature of a good friend, “Yesterday is history, tomorrow’s a mystery.  Today is a gift.  That’s why it’s called the present.”  

No comments:

Post a Comment