Sunday, February 28, 2010

L’Chaim—My First Israeli Bar

8:12 PM Saturday February 27th, Ber-Sheva

Last night I went to my first Israeli pub with my cousins and their friends.  I learned a few things about Israeli nightlife that you may find interesting:

1)   There is no last call in Israel.  The bars stay open as long as customers are drinking.  In fact, In Tel-Aviv the party sometimes starts at 8 AM!
2)   Purim in Israel is a lot like Halloween in Los Angeles.  People go out to bars wearing ridiculous costumes.  Last night I found Sponge Bob, a Miami-Vice look alike, a flamenco dancer, and at least one boy that I legitimately thought was a girl.  (Note: Purim is the Jewish festival in which we celebrate the story of Esther who married the King of Persia and helped save the Jews from a massacre at the hands of the King’s advisor Hamen.  To celebrate everyone dresses up, reads to story of Esther and makes cookies in the shape of triangles called Hamentashen in recollection of Hamen’s triangle shaped hat.  For more details please consult your friendly local Rabbi, or Google.)
3)   Friday nights, otherwise known as Shabbat, are family nights.  Most people get together with their families for gadol ochel (big food—I don’t know the word for meal yet).   After dinner the young people will go out to bars around 11 or midnight.  That is if he bars are open, which brings us to point number four…
4)    Many places are closed Friday through Saturday for Shabbat, the day of rest.  In fact, Belfast, the first pub we went to was closed.  Instead, we went to a bar called Coca near Ben Gurion University (approximately 20,000 students).  It’s just one block down from the dorms, and thus it was packed with university students.   I think the theme of the bar was watered down rock, as there was a drum set in the corner and the menus were made out of old vinyl records.  (Interestingly the records were Beethoven).
5)   Young Israeli couples are very affectionate in public.  Really, I’ve never seen anything like it.  The kisses, the touches, the pet talk—perhaps people are just less inhibited here?  (Note: It is common for young Israeli couples to live together with their families before getting married.  It’s totally normal, and frankly makes sense economically.)
6)   There is MUCH less primping here.  People don’t spend hours getting ready or doing their hair.  Guys will put their Jew-fros in ponytails or practically shave their heads.  Girls will usually leave their hair long and natural or tied up.  It’s like every day is a yoga class in Weho.   The makeup is just as minimal—at the most mascara and eyeliner.  Jewelry is worn simply as well. I think I may have been the most dressed up in the bar even though my hair was curly and up in a messy bun.  My scarf and black jacket seemed just a touch out of place.  Yet I don’t think anyone but myself noticed. It seems that being comfortable in one’s skin takes precedent in Israel.   


With more rain and getting home at 1:40 in the morning—I was exhausted!  I slept until 12:28 this afternoon.  It was lovely.  But I seriously hope I kick this jet lag soon.  Starting Tuesday I need to be working 

No comments:

Post a Comment