Sunday, February 28, 2010

Settling In and Cleaning Up


Mishmar Haemek 

Okay, I'm really exhausted.  Jet-lag is kicking my butt in an epic fashion.  I went to sleep at 10, and was up at 1 AM playing solitaire on my cell until 6:45.  It's a little ridiculous, because come mid-afternoon I'm zombie.  You know that feeling when you're so tired you feel sick to your stomach?  Yes, it's like that.

I also feel really out of the global loop.  I heard something on the radio about an earthquake in Chile and a tsunami in Japan but I didn't get the details as it was in Hebrew.  (Looking it up online now.)

More rain today.  It's really cold.  My family joked that I brought the rain with me to Israel since the last time I was here in 2006 it was also an abnormally rainy winter.  Go figure.

We left Ber-Sheva at 8 and made it to the Kibbutz by 10.  After lots of questions from my Aunt and Uncle the Kibbutz Director, Shoshi showed me to my room and gave me a very quick rundown.  It all made sense to me at the moment, but honestly I don't remember much of it now.  I blame a tired and over-extended brain.

I was the first one in my room, in fact my roommate is still deciding if she will actually come.  Fingers crossed for a single!  I unpacked most of my stuff and then went to lunch in the dining hall with some other Ulpan members.  Next door to me is Sam (19 from Florida) and Roni (? from Woodland Hills).  I also met some more Americans and a few Spanish speakers from Columbia, Brazil and Argentina.  So at lunch I was switching between English, Spanish and Hebrew.  It's going to get confusing.

When I returned from lunch I started cleaning the apartment.  It really needed it.  Unfortunately, the only cleaning supplies on hand were windex (which smelled like bug spray) and toilet paper.  Yes I cleaned everything but the fridge with just that.  I didn't do a bad job if I say so myself.  But seriously, check out the video from my last post (unless, Clea you're reading this.  Then don't because you may faint).  The fridge is worse than what I was used to Sophomore year living in Norris (shout-out to Chris).  I need better cleaning supplies for that, which I will buy at the Kibbutz store tomorrow.

There is a Purim party for the children in the dining hall tonight, so the Ulpan members will be eating by the Ulpan office.  Still haven't met anyone, but no so far no lookers. :)

I'm pooped.  Going to nap like a baby at 4 PM.

PS.  Skype me, comment, email me, let me know what's going on with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment