Wednesday, March 3, 2010

First Day of Work

Today I went to work in the Chader Ochel (Dining Hall/Picture on the right).  It was a learning experience.  Working in the kitchen and Chader Ochel is not glamorous by any means.  But you know... every once in a while it's important to feel humble.  Not understanding directions and gesturing like a child to understand simple tasks can really put a dent in one's ego.  But I took it all with a grain of salt and did my best.  Setting tables, cleaning floors, washing fruit, ladling out cottage cheese from giant bins... nothing like I've ever done before.  But I have a new respect for how much work goes into meal preparation on such a grand scale.  I also reaffirmed my cleanliness standards seem to be more stringent than most.

So my back and shoulders hurt mucho, but it was a good experience and I'm glad I did it.  You can learn something with every new challenge, even if you don't like it.  Shoshi ran into me and said "no se preocupe we will find you something else." Shoshi and I speak half Spanish, half English, and qetsat Evrit (little Hebrew) together.  Not sure what I will be doing next, but I'm open to it all  Eventually I may be able to work with the kids which is what I really want to do.

I did like that I was working with Avi (24, Venezuela/Israel) today.  He and I spoke English, Spanish and Hebrew together and had a pretty good time chatting.  He's funny and I enjoyed getting to know him.  Example conversation below:

Avi: Have you seen Coldplay in Los Angeles?
Shosh: No, it's too expensive.
Avi:  You don't like Coldplay!?
Shosh: I like Coldplay, but I like my money more.
Avi:  You're sure you're not Israeli?

After we finished work around 2 PM, I was hanging out by the Ulpan Porch (our central hangout).  Reading, chatting with people who finished their Kita Aleph, and those who were also done with work.   Small talk led to the idea of frisbee and Andrew (22, New York) led us to the Kibbutz soccer field.  The little kids were at soccer practice so we used and edge of the field to play frisbee.  Gidon (24, Florida) and Max (24, Oklahoma) tried to teach me how to throw the frisbee properly.  I was difficult to teach.  After about twenty minutes I tired of my perpetual suckiness and general lack of coordination and retreated to a nearby rock to read.  (Of course I always have a book with  me).

Now we're off to pick out costumes for our Purim party on Friday.  Whooo!

Latraot!

1 comment:

  1. Okay, I'm just getting to this now, but Coldplay live is worth every effing penny. I've seen them twice and while I will admit my bias, you should not like your money more than Coldplay.

    Thank you, that is all.

    ReplyDelete