For my non-Jews out there, Purim is a Jewish holiday that looks a lot like Halloween. We all get dressed up, party and have a lot of fun. This afternoon Shoshi took us to the costume center so we could borrow costumes for the big Purim party on Friday. Apparently, this Kibbutz goes all out for Purim! We can even go the afternoon of the party to the hair salon for free hair and makeup to match out costumes.
We walked into this room (also doubles as a shelter) jam-packed with hats, wigs, shoes, costumes, and everything you could imagine! Many of you may know that I am not a costume person. I ditch Halloween, and theme parties are so not my thing. But I figured, when in Israel... I settled on a comfy kimono and really cool umbrella. I am going to go as a Geisha and get my face painted white and hair put up in a bun. I'm pretty excited about it actually. Everyone had a great time going through costumes. I found one that is a dress of a giant face, and then stuffed hands hanging off the side. Apparently, it's a cartoon character from Spain. But if you ask me, it's creepy and hysterical. I convinced Andrew to wear it. Then he found a matching costume and Sam (19, Florida) is going to be his partner in crime. We will also have zebras, magicians, smurfs, jesters, donkeys, cheerleaders, and more!
As I mentioned earlier, my Spanish is getting a lot better here. I get to practice with the Mexicans, Venezuelans and Columbians, as well as translate from English to Spanish for the Brazilians who speak Portuguese and Spanish. So in efforts to integrate the English and Spanish speakers during dinner, I am often asked to invite the Spanish speakers over to join our table. Alex, (?, Honduras) only speaks Spanish and usually keeps to himself. At meal times he often sits at a table alone, until I go over and ask him, "te gustas comidar nosotros?" (I think that means, "would you like to eat with us?")
Apparently, my bilingual dinner habits may have given the Venezuelans some comic fodder. After dinner, Avi brings me over to ask, "Shoshana, you like Alex as a man yes?" Clearly, there is no correct answer to this question without embarrassing both myself and Alex. My response to the group of joking Latin Americans... "Claro que si! (Of course). I like you all as men." Insert laugh track and excuse myself to walk with the girls to see the Kibbutz Pilates class.
Isn't language a fun thing?
Tomorrow I start Kita Bet (second level Hebrew) and I am fairly confident I will be the slow one in class. I'm going to be picking the brains of the better speakers for sure. Until tomorrow, sending you my best!
Latraot!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sounds like you are having a great time Shoshi...let's try to iChat this morning... love your sis.
ReplyDelete