Wednesday, May 5, 2010

I'm Coming Home!

Sigh, what a day.  It's late and I'm exhausted but there's quite a bit to update.

I haven't mentioned it to anyone but I've been thinking about going home before July for quite some time.  I probably haven't mentioned it because well, there's no one here to talk to and I didn't want to disappoint or get people's hopes up back home.  You may have noticed that my last few blog posts have been a little forlorn.   Things have been on my mind and this forum is as close to an intimate candid conversation as I can get.

Truth is, the more I've been thinking about it, the more I know it's a better decision for me to head home earlier than mid-July.  Initially I had planned for 10 days to finalize USC things, find an apartment, move in, go to weddings, spend time with my family, and restart my life before B-School.  It's a bit tight.  When I graduated from Oxy I had two days to move and start work at MySpace.  I did it.  I know I could do it again and make it work.

But, learning from experience I know that I prefer more time when starting an entirely new chapter of life.  2009 was such a hectic, sad and stressful year.  I didn't always take the time to do what was right for me.  In fact it took a lot of time and if I say so myself, courage to make changes in my life.  I made the decision to live 2010 differently.  So far, I'm a better and happier person.  Recent events have made me think about what's important to me even more.  With stuff going on with my family, and my inability to do simple things like call them when they need me... well it's enough to remind me of what my priorities really are.

Furthermore, I feel as if I've achieved my goals for my experience here.  I have already grown tremendously as a person.  I don't want to diminish anything about the experience so far.  I've loved it!  And I'm so glad that I came.  I would not change anything (except for Kibbutz food perhaps).  This time in Israel has been transformative--probably in ways I can't even recognize yet.  I'm sure there will be more reflections and realizations to come.

Perhaps the biggest realization is that no matter where I go or what I do the people I love are always the most important.  Life isn't about passport stamps, salaries, or degrees.  Life is about the people you love and who love you back.  I'm pretty lucky in life.

So for all the reasons above I'm returning to California a few weeks early.  I fly back June 2nd.   I have no regrets and no sadness.  I'm doing what's right for me.  I hope that you will be excited to see me, albeit briefly.  I only have a few weeks before I will disappear into another foreign territory--USC.  (See my sense of humor is still intact).

Time for me to go to sleep as I've been typing into the wee hours of the morning.   As always, I hope you're all having a great day!

Latraot!  And see you soon!

4 comments:

  1. Hey, I know the feeling. When you know,YOU JUST KNOW, that life isn't about the money, the job, the work, it is about you. Your life. Your love. Your family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cheryl! That's exactly it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such true words! i love you Shosh! I'm glad that you've enjoyed your time, but i'm also glad that you're coming back! guess what! I fly in to CA on June 2nd as well! maybe we'll bump into each other at the airport! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG that is exciting!!!! YAY!

    ReplyDelete