Israelis like to joke that Americans are “too polite.” I am constantly chastised for saying toda (thank you) and bavakasha (please/you’re welcome) too often. The other day on a hike I held a branch so that the person behind me would not be hit in the face. The group looked back and laugh, “Ay Amerecai.”
Ironically, they also joke that we don’t have considerate phrases in English. We don’t have an equivalent to B’the Avon (Bon Appetite—see I had to use another language as an example) or for saying, “enjoy your purchase” when someone buys something new. I often hear them joke that we’re too into material goods and that America is one big shopping mall and chain store. They say this as they go to McDonalds in droves and stand in line for the opening of H&M in Tel Aviv. The irony amuses me.
It’s been a good week here so far. Minus a cockroach invasion (I may be hyperbolizing there were only two yesterday. Yes, Chris and Sam I said HYPERBOLIZING.) Tomorrow is my last day of Hebrew class and then the Ulpanists may be going out dancing. Should be fun!
One week left in the country. It’s crazy how time flies. I realize that I’m going to go back and things will have changed a lot at home as well. I think it’s going to be interesting transitioning back in. Once the jet-lag subsides I hope to be as busy as ever.
Until next time…

No comments:
Post a Comment